What's up ... today?

A place where people who are left leaning can get together to discuss with people of a like mind. This Forum is moderated by YIF and to get admitted either PM her or go to the second post in the forum for instructions

Moderators: yankee-in-france, Fashionista

Postby yankee-in-france » Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 am

.. sorry to hear that, DT. I was reading another article today that said that college kids are having a rough time this year as well with summer jobs.

Yes, well at least maybe you will be able to enjoy the summer. It is not easy when money is tight to enjoy anything. I hope that you find something that will help you out.
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby DocTar » Mon May 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks, YIF...I have plenty of work around here to keep me busy the whole summer, it's just that I will have to squeeeeeeze the budget a little farther than it might be able to expand! I wonder if anyone knows anything about working at home on the computer...I see those ads and wonder what they involve.
DocTar

Postby yankee-in-france » Mon May 24, 2010 1:53 pm

DocTar wrote:Thanks, YIF...I have plenty of work around here to keep me busy the whole summer, it's just that I will have to squeeeeeeze the budget a little farther than it might be able to expand! I wonder if anyone knows anything about working at home on the computer...I see those ads and wonder what they involve.

Be careful ... I think that some are scams.
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby pax » Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure about those offers either Doc. Try craigslist for part time work. Don't give too much info online. See if a local community college or other public place has bulletin boards. Let everyone know you're looking for something, anything. Friends, relatives, acquaintances etc. Good luck!
pax

Postby pax » Mon May 24, 2010 3:06 pm

yankee-in-france wrote:.. cowbell sounds great!

:D

http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/sn ... wbell.html
pax

Postby yankee-in-france » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:31 pm

.. welcome back, Pap, to RU, and welcome to the Left Bank. :D
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby DocTar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi Pap!

YIF, I got a part time summer job...with more pay per hour than I have ever received in a summer job. It's at an exclusive assisted living facility with only 18 residents...posh. I made them lemon meringue pies today and they were all reminiscing about the good old days...several of the old girls had a second piece. I wonder if any of them would like to adopt me.
DocTar

Postby pax » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey, fantastic DocTar! Congratulations!
pax

Postby yankee-in-france » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:35 am

DocTar wrote:Hi Pap!

YIF, I got a part time summer job...with more pay per hour than I have ever received in a summer job. It's at an exclusive assisted living facility with only 18 residents...posh. I made them lemon meringue pies today and they were all reminiscing about the good old days...several of the old girls had a second piece. I wonder if any of them would like to adopt me.

... hey, that's great news .... I am happy for you ... and it sounds like you are enjoying it. :)
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby SavannahStar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:55 am

DocTar wrote:Hi Pap!

Congrats DT! Sounds like a great job! I have a soft spot in my heart for ALF's as my Dad was in one for a couple years prior to his death. I got to know many wonderful people, both staff and residents.

Enjoy your summer!
SavannahStar
**SuperStar**

Postby yankee-in-france » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:01 am

..hmmm, lemon meringue pies ... I bet they're good too.
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby SavannahStar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 am

yankee-in-france wrote:..hmmm, lemon meringue pies ... I bet they're good too.

I bet they are!

When Dad was in the ALF one of the desserts they used to have that I LOVED was coconut cream pie.....OMG, drool, drool, drool. I always wanted to make one after that, but never found a recipe I really liked. One of these days.....
SavannahStar
**SuperStar**

Postby Black-Tulip » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Living the luxury life :D

View from the dining place. Mont Blanc in the background.
Black-Tulip

Postby pax » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Gorgeous BT!
pax

Postby Black-Tulip » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Great country :lol:
Black-Tulip

Postby DocTar » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:13 pm

So, here is a question.

Do conservatives hate illegals more than liberals? Can it be reduced to that simple an equation?

I live in the midwest, and yes, we have a variety of people who live here now...Chinese, Mexican, Muslim, and I don't know if they are legal or not. One very good restaurant here in my town had some illegals working there who could not speak English. I have a very nice family across the street from me who are a three race family...part white, part black, part Hispanic. I work at a school, and there are all kinds of kids nowadays that we would never have seen back when I was growing up

Every week my email has at least one, sometimes more, emails that encourage building a fence around our country. I find that incomprehensible.

Not meaning to start something here, or we can move it to another place.
DocTar

Postby pax » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi DocTar. I like legal immigrants and presume most conservatives do too. The subject of illegal immigration is a tough one. A lot of people get riled up about it. Most everyone feels federal and state governments should do something about it. Exactly what is the subject of a lot of debate that often gets contentious.
pax

Postby yankee-in-france » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:25 am

I think that all immigrants should be legal, but every case is different. Are we better off creating a way for illegals to become legal and thus know exactly who is in our country and add them to payrolls where they contribute to tax revenues or do we hang onto their illegal status and just deport them and tell them to reapply.

It is a tough issue. America can take in only so many. Many countries in Western Europe have a similar problem.

DT, I think that it is great that your town has welcomed people of different cultures and it sounds as if these people blended into life in your community rather than clanning together.
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby DocTar » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi, YIF....this is how I look at it...most of us are only a generation or two from being immigrants ourselves.

Does anyone know what kind of immigration laws were on the books back in the 1850's, when my great great grandfather and his brother came over from Germany, to avoid the draft? My grandmother told me this a number of years ago, and was actually embarrassed that they were dodging the draft. We have a hand written letter from my great great great grandfather to his two sons, saying goodbye, cause he knew once they left Europe, he would probably never see them again. It's a wonderfully sad and eloquent letter, and little did he know that his draft dodgers would establish an entire community and would be so successful that upon the marriage of each of my great grandfather's 9 children, they were presented with the gift of a farm.
DocTar

Postby yankee-in-france » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:46 pm

... what a wonderful story, DT. :) Yes, the same for me, my Dad was born in the US but my paternal grandparents came from a little patch of land between Austria and Hungary. I understand that it is now in Poland but in 1870s it was called Galitzia. My mother's side, though, came here in the very early 1800s from Germany, France, England and Ireland. America is a patchwork quilt. :)
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby DocTar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 am

This has been one hot week here in the mid section of the US....daily temps of over 100 and heat indices of 110-120! High humidity and not much relief at night. The day it got up to 106, early the next morning the temp was 89 at 5am....today is supposed to be the last day in this firecracker of a week, and Friday the 13th to boot! A cold (?) front is moving in tonight, bringing cooler temps...like in the 80's for daytime and 60's for night....I am so relieved!

Today is the last day of my summer job. I have been working in an exclusive assisted living facility...oh that we all could afford to live in one like this one...I have grown to love all of my elderly friends, and have enjoyed giving them food that they recall from their earlier years, and also pandering to their preferences, which seems to me that since they are paying a high price for living in such a nice place, they deserve to have their tomatoes peeled! I'm the only cook who does it, though...they have been sorrowfully dreading today, and I had to promise to come back at Christmas vacation and also to drop in to say hi. I have also learned a lot from these wonderful elderly sweeties. They are a lesson to all of us. Many of them have serious health issues. One of the oldest...98 I believe...she takes her walker outside every day and walks a mile in the parking area....she eats a healthy diet, but splurges on a slice of bacon every morning! There is a group of ladies who meets every evening at 7 to play cards...poker...scrabble...uno...pitch, and several others. I have to chuckle when I see these grannies get into their cards! There are only 2 men in the entire place.
DocTar

Postby yankee-in-france » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:12 pm

I am glad that you enjoyed your summer job. Is there any chance that it would be a permanent one?
yankee-in-france
YIF
YIF

Postby DocTar » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:17 pm

No, there are no openings for full time, and I have a retirement fund and insurance at my regular job.
DocTar

Postby pax » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Good for you DT!
pax

Postby DocTar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:55 am

Happy Monday to everyone who reads here! We caught a break and the temps went down yesterday to a very bearable 85 degrees. And some rain is forecast for tonight and tomorrow...it's very dry here. This has been such a strange summer...I am ready for fall and football!
DocTar

PreviousNext

Return to Left Bank